Round Rock New Neighbors is a social organization of women welcoming women in the Round Rock area since 1978. Both "new" and "old" neighbors are welcome. For more information: rrnewneighbors.org [Barnes & Noble requires that RRNN's book club be open to the public, so you do not need to be an RRNN member to attend book club, and both men and women are welcome and do attend. ]
EEA-based end users: There are no ads on this site. Us it at your own discretion.

LOCAL LITERARY EVENT:

Saturday, June 6, 2015

And the June Nominees are....


Hello fellow readers. Here are the books I will be nominating on June 15th, one of which we will select to read August 17.  I read each of these books for the first time in the last 3 months and each earned a stellar **** in my 5-star rating system.  The Tortilla Curtain and Where's You Go, Bernadette were recommended to me by my former book discussion group in Boulder, CO.  A Walk in the Woods has been staring at me from a bookshelf for about 5 years and I finally decided to read it (instead of unpack). I am nominating it just in case I'm wrong about "everyone" having read it except me - because the film version will be released Labor Day weekend.

The Tortilla Curtain, 1995, T.C. Boyle.  Fiction. Although T.C. Boyle has written more than two dozen books, we've not read anything by him (not sure if he's been nominated).


Where'd You Go, Bernadette, 2013, Maria Semple.  Fiction. This is Maria Semple's 2nd novel.  She is well known for her TV writing having received Award nominations for Mad About You and Arrested Development.

A Walk in the Woods, 1998, Bill Bryson.  NonFiction. In 2005 we read A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.

I look forward to telling you more about my experience with these books.  I believe they all provide food for thought and would make for good discussion!  See you on the 15th when we discuss Atonement!!

 

No comments: